Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

 

Supreme Court Building in Washington

What I Learned About the U.S. Supreme Court

Watching this video gave me a new appreciation for the role of the U.S. Supreme Court and the influence it has on American government. Before watching, I understood that the Court interprets laws, but I did not fully realize how much its decisions shape the boundaries of government power.

One of the most interesting points was that, although the Supreme Court derives its legitimacy from the Constitution, its power depends heavily on public opinion. That idea stood out to me because it highlights how even the highest court in the country is connected to the people it serves.


I also learned that there have been just over 100 Supreme Court justices in American history. The video described being appointed to the Court as something comparable to being struck by lightning because it is such a rare opportunity. I found that comparison memorable because it emphasized how exclusive and significant the position really is.

Another lesson that stayed with me was that, while the justices are highly trained in the law, they are ultimately dealing with people and the real-world impact of their decisions. That perspective made the Court feel less distant and more connected to the lives of everyday citizens.

I was surprised to learn about John Marshall and his importance in Supreme Court history. I also had never heard his famous statement, “Never forget it is a constitution we are expounding.” That quote reinforced the idea that the Court’s responsibility goes beyond individual laws and focuses on interpreting the broader principles of the Constitution.

The video also discussed difficult moments in the Court’s history. I learned that Congress had no power to abolish slavery and that the Dred Scott case left a lasting wound on the Supreme Court’s reputation. These examples showed me that the Court’s decisions can have consequences that shape how future generations view the institution.

Perhaps the most important takeaway is that the Supreme Court is not a static institution. From time to time, judges change their views during conference discussions, demonstrating that debate and reflection remain important parts of the judicial process. After watching the video, I see the Supreme Court not just as a legal body, but as an institution that continues to influence the direction of the nation.

____________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learnt, I emphasised my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I then asked Copilot to shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions. 


____________________________________

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW



No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO Project

  Petroglyphs: One of the Earliest Forms of Communication When we think about communication technology, most of us probably think about smar...